What Karachi Truly Means to Me

I've lived the better part of my childhood and adolescence abroad, and 2/3 of my married life as well. I no longer live abroad nor am I married either. As I reflect on the past, things around me become more clear, and I begin to appreciate what I had always taken for granted before. The most significant thing that I am truly and most humbly grateful for is for my very own city, my abode and my savior, my city Karachi.

I realize that most of my Karachi readers, or Pakistani readers at that, will be wondering what the hell I am talking about. I get it. You've heard of political unrest, polluted streets, lack of basic amenities, the list goes on and on...it appears to be uninhabitable- a jungle- a place of mass hysteria. Whilst there is a morsel of truth in all the above, the horror stories are ridiculously exaggerated.

But that is besides the point, let me show you how I see Karachi...

Aerial View of a Part of Karachi


1. Safe Haven: Life abroad is paramount to 'making it' in life. What if I were to tell you that 'all that glitters is not gold'? I can sum it up and say that it was lonely. I had no extended family, which meant that 'it takes a village' was not applicable to me. When life threw bricks at me, there was no one to dress the wounds. When the going got tough, the only thing that got tougher was me, through no intention of mine, regardless of the situation, if I was not up and about, the alternative was worse. And so in a life of duress, the only companion to witness the silent woes of my heart were the four walls of the apartment, otherwise it was quiet. But Karachi- the very second I stepped out of the airport I was hit with the love in the air- the love of parents nearby, of relatives, the essence of my roots. It was- is- always will be, home.

Downtown Karachi



2. Freedom: Time flies by, even more so when it's time for visa renewals, passport issues etc etc. My country, my city, is my own and I don't need anyone's permission to live here, it's where I started and where I hope to end up, on the ground or below it.



3. Ambiance: When stepping into the city, there is a change in visuals for sure, a subtle change in the air, even a difference in the smells, but what really always strikes me is the the difference in the noise- not the just the level, but the variety. I think its predominantly two sounds that I have been able to single out: the crows and rickshaws... more so in the background, are the sweet sounds of Pakistani languages, people uttering terms of endearment in Punjabi (a lovely colourful language of the province of Punjab) or exchanging a heated argument in Urdu (the local language) or exchanging the latest news of the financial markets in Memoni (a language commonly spoken in Karachi amongst a community called Memons), it's sweet, sweet music to my ears. English, my friends, does not compare. No offence to my English counterparts. 



4. Patriotism Redefined: I respect that every country has the fundamental right to celebrate its special days, its heritage, its culture. The only thing is, living in another country deprived me to a great extent to celebrate mine- but that is one of the costs of living abroad. I also get that it may not be an issue to a great many people, but I realize that being in my own country, standing in attention to my country's national anthem, celebrating my country's independence day, chiming our patriotic songs, revering my country's national hero's and to really feel their enormous sacrifices for us, it's deeply refreshing and food for the soul. 



5. Superb Education: I say this with personal experience. Granted that my kids never went to top notch schools abroad, I still say that in Karachi, kids get a rich and high standard of education at fraction of the price. Added is all the stuff I mentioned above as well. I was doing some research on the standing of local universities and was not surprised that some local colleges have made their mark in the world. In addition, a great number of kids go abroad to privileged schools abroad on scholarships, this means a lot to the average citizen who is not able to afford said privileged colleges.
There are also a great deal of activities going on, and I mean a great deal. Kids are also exposed to the local language. I can not begin to tell you the suffering I've had to take due to my lack of writing skills in the Urdu language. I feel great pride when see my students in the second grade writing paragraphs in Urdu. Anyone can handle English, but writing in Urdu is like painting a master piece. 

For links to the best colleges: 

Engineering:












Pakistan holds the greatest number of A stars in the O levels for the past three years.

6. Spirituality: I never saw any opportunity to do any soul searching abroad in terms of spirituality. I had my computer at best, but so far as good and pious company was concerned, individuals who lift your stale state of spirituality and not only refresh it, but make you want to elevate it further, this factor was greatly missing. Life was just mundane and stagnant, living day to day monotonously. Even getting the children to learn how read the Quran was a daunting task. Karachi gives innumerable opportunities to adults and children alike to be better people from the inside. You just need the takers.

7. The Food: is to die for. I love Chinese, Italian and Mediterranean, but give me kebabs from BarBQ Tonight any day, Carrot Halwa from Darbar-e Shireen, the mouth watering flavours and aromas are available in every nook and cranny in the city, and it is seriously awesome, and I don't speak lightly (me not being a huge eater anyway). In addition, the fruits are bursting with pure flavour and the veggies are delightful with a richness that is lacking on the shelves in those huge hypermarkets abroad- they are more wholesome and the next best thing to 100% organic. Don't even get me started on the mangoes, please don't.






8. Clothes and Jewelry rich in culture: Yes people, there is no cotton like Pakistani cotton, and there is no fashion so diverse and rich in ethnicity and culture like Pakistani wear. Now brands are more popular, but there is something to meet every wallet and fancy. It's like a collage of colours, and the handiwork of our people here is second to none in the world, it is such a pleasure to wear the gorgeous shalwar kameez dresses that are so tasteful and such an extremely important aspect of my identity. No sir, not Versace nor Dior can cut it. The jewelry is also phenomenal be it gold, silver or imitation. You have to see it to believe it. It's certainly nice to be affiliated with a place so rich in creativity.
Cotton Chuniri

Inspired by Sindhi Culture
Delicate Shadow Work- Handmade
Kundan Earings


9. Land of Opportunity: Nopes, not talking about the US of A, I'm talking about Karachi. If you have a dream, you can go for it here. Business venture? Not hard to set up, surprisingly little capital required. Want to change fields? Easily done at the tonnes of educational institutes. Want to pursue that degree you've always wanted, want to nail that job by taking diplomas, or just want to brush up on a sport, hobby or artistic inclination? All possible and much more. You can even get involved in the tonnes of voluntary work for altruistic desires, the passion to give back to society. There is always, always, always something to do. I never saw any easy avenue towards any of the above when I was abroad. None.

Mausoleum of the Founder of the Nation


Yes my city has its own set of problems, inflation is troublesome, but then where is it not? Earning an honest living is challenging, but where is it not? A point comes when one has to ask what cost are they willing to pay by staying in a foreign country? The foreign exchange is certainly a strong motivating factor. Whereas the entire dynamic is more complex, I know this, Karachi is a wonderful city with diverse people, the hustle and bustle, the markets, the sights, the children, the streets, all of it with its good and with its bad- its all simply- my home.













Comments

  1. You write neatly and this is a well detailed post I must say... Karachi it is...

    www.lexhansplace.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great !! So much love for Karachi !!

    Love from
    www.Gossipguns.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What the Young Tree Whispered in my Ear

The Thirsty Sparrow and what it Taught Me

The Scales of Life