The Scales of Life

 ... are tipped slightly against us. No one in their right frame of mind would or could doubt that. It is this very notion that makes life interesting - worth living. What good is the prize if its right there for the taking? What sweetness would be got from low hanging fruit? 


When we raise children, an age old tested method to get them to do something is to make them work for something they want. It develops grit and enables a child to gain a deep seated appreciation for hard work. (Something being lost as time goes by, but that is another blog for another day.) I remember dangling novels in front of my daughter for doing her chores. Sure some might call this bribery but I beg to differ. 

However, one must always resort to making people work to get at something (call it bribery if you will) in moderation. You can't dangle candy in front a baby and then quickly take it away. Wouldn't sit right with anyone. You want to keep it at a distance, laying in the far corner nonchalantly...in a nondescript way. Then the baby will make its way towards it. Then the baby will eventually get to it, then have it in their palm. Then eat it. If the universe cooperates of course. Murphy's Law seems to pop up in the most annoying fashion at inopportune times. The candy may fall. It may not be the one the baby wants. It might look nice but taste nasty. It may be too hard for a baby that has only their front teeth - you get the picture. But, once in a while, Murphy will turn its head around, and the universe with its infinite wisdom, make it all worth it. Perfect, succulent, and everything the baby hoped for. Even the baby will think the candy all the more sweeter after the struggle. 

Lately, I feel quite a bit like that baby.

It feels like I have something right within my reach, but actually upon a closer look its not really as close as it looks. Further, it seems to keep going out of focus, or moving further away as I get closer. It's a pretty unnerving feeling. I am sure it must be good candy. Like really good. Epic even. I can smell the whiffs. I can make out the unicorny colours, though the pattern remains obscure. I will keep moving forward as it is the only thing to do... I pray though, that when I reach the other side, it will be all I ever hoped for. Perfect, succulent, and everything I hoped for. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Young Tree Whispered in my Ear

The Thirsty Sparrow and what it Taught Me