Enough with the Criticism Already!

I don't get it. Every which way I turn, mostly what I hear are judgmental, condescending remarks. Mostly. A lady passing by from under my window speaking on her phone: You should have seen her- she looked hideous and thought she looked so nice. Lady talking to a shop keeper: Everything in your shop is old and over-priced. Who do you think you are... and then some explicit language I can't get myself to repeat. In the waiting lounge of a hospital two nurses wail about their boss: He's such a rotten man, thinks he rules the world.


YES YES and YES!

She might have been looking terrible, but she obviously thought she looked divine! What harm is she doing to you? Let her have her couple of hours of glory.

The guy might be selling expired products at an exuberant rate, so why come to his shop in the first place when there are ten more on the street?

So the doctor makes them work on tight schedules, but then isn't it even remotely possible that his work ethic will ultimately make them the best professional versions of who they can be?

It truly truly saddens me to see all the negativity, the cynicism, the demotivation and well... just plain old dragging down any Tom, Dick or Harry that comes along....

This past year has been a period of profound awakening for me. They say those who bear the most terrible of losses, also suffer the curse of being an empath... and there's the negativity right there-I've used the word curse. Yes, it's true that any thing around me that shows signs of the slightest distress causes me immense pain,and yes at one point it seemed to indeed be the most damnedest of curses there could be.... no longer do I perceive it to be so.

It took a great deal of will power, resolve and the conscious decision to turn around my mindset. I started to use this empathy to direct all my inner potential, all my skills, all my abilities, some acquired, some God-gifted towards one purpose- to make a difference, however small, but to do it, to be the source of benefit for someone... someone....

I like to believe, I must believe that every human being has this choice. All it takes is a little openness, a broader perspective and maybe a little hope, love and gratitude- and faith.

You need to know, if we change and redirect all our petty thinking, the need to find flaws and minor imperfections, the all judgy views -  and instead, if we just start giving people the benefit of the doubt, if we just start believing that there is fundamental goodness that exists in the breasts of humanity, maybe then, perhaps, with some stroke of luck, in our small way, we can make the world.... a better place to live.












Comments

  1. OMG this sounds so familiar ....the curse of empathy .....of just knowing and seeing wayyy too much .... Back in school I used to think why can't the rest see it and maybe with time they will BT they don't ...and I do .... I can see the pain the tiredness in between and its soon true when you write about giving benefit of doubt ...if only we all as humans understood that .....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What the Young Tree Whispered in my Ear

The Thirsty Sparrow and what it Taught Me

The Scales of Life