10 Points of Critical Advice for Acing It at your New Job

Over the course of one's career, there will obviously be several new places of employment to deal with. Changing jobs can be immensely stressful. The unknown is often associated with fear. The not knowing what kind of a person your boss and colleagues are, being the newbie in what appears to be a close knit working environment and a tonne of other factors contribute to the tension.

However, if you have changed jobs, it's because a certain set of circumstances came to be that led to that decision. If you were pro-active enough to address those circumstances, chances are you have what it takes to make it at the new work place. It has always been my firm belief in both my personal and professional life, that there should be boundaries, there should be limits and when they begin to be crossed blatantly again and again, change needs to happen. That's how people transition from mediocrity into greatness. People take their mistakes and turn them into learning opportunities. In my profession, it's what's called a growth mind-set.

But I digress.

Here are the top 10 tips I have picked up on how to ace it in the first few weeks, that are probably going to be the most challenging:

1. Have a Hard Copy of your JD

Know the exact nature of your job and what you are expected to do. Then go the extra mile- just because you are a professional and a good person.

2. Be Cautiously Optimistic about People

It's early days, people are super polite and gracious. I believe in giving every person the benefit of the doubt, but I still believe that trusting no one is the smart thing to do when you are in the adjustment phase. If it really needs getting done, do it yourself.

3. Find a Mentor

Find that one person who is a true professional, that someone whom everyone looks up to, or at the very least, is in awe of. Observe their working practices, analyse what makes them so good at their job at this particular work place. Forge a bond of understanding. Ask for advice, but don't come of as overly needy.

4. Workstation

It's just the beginning and you have your work station all nice and shiny and most importantly- empty. Since it's a new beginning, make it a priority to keep it clutter-free, that's not to say you shouldn't personalize it. Make it comfortable, but keep on weeding what's not required. I have a cute little cup for putting my essential stationery in that I'm oddly quite fond of and I use colourful thumb tacks for putting up little notes instead of those boring old sliver ones.

On a side note:
I give tuitions at home and the girls who come to me have been doing so for almost a couple of years now and are just like my own children. I guess there is a part of me that compensates for my loss, but that just makes me a better teacher and mentor (so I have been told). I often get them books and activity puzzles but I don't have a particular place for these things in my room where I teach them. So along the way, the kids' stuff ended up in my side-tables. I came to realize this was really not okay, so I came up with this:


The top has all the stationery, the brown holder is for the kids and the blue one for me. There is place for my stapler, little paper stack, even a cute sharpener and other odd bits and pieces. The levels below are tilted and each kid is assigned one portion for their things. 


It's pretty economical space wise, since the tilted portions criss-cross back and forth. And it has wheels so I can cart it around for my convenience. 


5. Sticky Notes

It will be overwhelming in the beginning, so much data, so many new customs, you will most likely forget to do something or the other. So use little notes and reminders, gradually the routine will become familiar and you won't need self-reminders on the day to day running operations. But you will need them- trust me- you will- and they are life savers.

6. Don't live for the Glory

There is much truth to be had in the saying, 'Empty vessels make much noise'. Don't be a drama queen or king, work with diligence and honesty, present creative ideas at meetings but don't take offense if you find some of them being mocked at or even stolen. Ultimately, people will see you for who you really are. People always know at the bottom of their hearts. Your day of glory will come time and again, let your work prove it to be true.

7. Turn a Deaf Ear to Compliments and Don't be Lavish giving them out

Trying too hard to be liked and being a suck it up will get you nowhere in the long-run. You'll just come off as being shallow and of no substance. Similarly, getting up on cloud nine on the basis of a few paltry compliments will suppress your talent and potential. Focus on your work, if it's feedback you want, focus on your results, not praise. If praise is given, critically evaluate it, and take it with grace if you truly think it's deserved. If you are a professional, you'll know.

8. Work Ethic

Being honest with resources provided to you is an integral part of being honest with yourself. At my current work place, we have liberty with the printers and photo copying. But it is truly amazing to see that, for the most part, everyone is pretty honest in using them. I truly believe owning your job, not just aesthetically, but physically as well, will contribute to your overall success.

9. Keep Up

So many changes, so much innovation, so much keeps changing in practices and theories. If we don't keep up with the times, we will either become obsolete, or the new guy who has all the new info will take over. It's not hard to achieve this. Social media can help. Subscribe on various forums to the leaders in the fields of your profession. Get information delivered right to you inbox and read up on the latest. Contact the professional development guy and tell him you're interesting in building your skills.

10. Boundaries

A person can only do so much, not more. To some, saying no comes easily. To others, like me, it takes more effort. I know from painful experiences in life, the biggest self-harm that you can do to yourself is not have the courage enough to say, "No, this is unacceptable," because, it ultimately becomes abusive.And when that happens, well, you come back full circle from whence this article started, settling into yet another new job.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Young Tree Whispered in my Ear

The Thirsty Sparrow and what it Taught Me

The Scales of Life