When a Moving Gesture becomes Terrifying

I know it almost sounds like an antithesis. But this is what happened. As you may well know, I had the pleasure of teaching a bunch grade eleven students English Language this year. Suffice it to say that it was the journey. I fell in love with their determination and the more I got to know them, the more I realized their uniqueness. I taught with a zeal and fervor that surpassed my expectations of myself. And this was not lost upon these kids as I was soon going to find out.

So today, the third last day of their tenure at school, ready to head out into the 'real world', I was presented with a basket full of goodies shrouded by the thin veil of white gossamer net that was studded with sparkly sequins. Through the net, I could see my two favourite things in the world (amidst other odds and ends): chocolates and random adorable stationery.

Well things like this don't happen everyday and I admit I did not take it very well. There was shock, a gaping jaw line and then some mutterings about this being against school policy and that I was probably going to get fired if I accepted this lavish gift. The girls tut tutted my feeble protests, guaranteeing they would speak to my boss and that I shouldn't worry about it. Luckily, my adult voice snapped at me, 'Better get a confirmation on that Houston'. And so the girls went on to arrange for my boss's blessing. But in the meantime, there was insistence on me checking out a cute 8 by 8 canvas that said 'Carpe Diem' on it. That was touching. It was a thing.

Then they insisted I pick up the card. Now this was where is became a bit embarrassing. You see, I couldn't find a card, I fumbled around in the chocolates a bit, examined the basket from a variety of angels- no, no card. A couple of girls kept pointing at a box in the center, but I was quite engrossed looking for a card. Then one of them put me out of my misery exclaiming that the box WAS the card. I picked it up rather suspiciously. I believe I asked them if something untoward would pop out if I opened it. Their solemn denials proved that I was mistaken in my suspicions. And so I did- open it I mean.

But it kept on opening. I was later to find out it was one of those infinity boxes. It kept opening with little chambers left and right. You have to see it to believe it.





These girls had gone through enormous lengths to put in bits and pieces of information that only we knew the significance too. You for instance, wouldn't know the significance of 'buttery sunshine' because it was a whole thing in my class. But there it was. The kids out did themselves. Finally their heartfelt messages simply broke my heart. 

What made it terrifying? It started this chain reaction in my mind. Was I deserving? I had merely done my job. What had merited this reaction?

And how come a bunch of 16 to 17 year olds could appreciate me so eloquently, but those who should have, never did? What an odd thing this life is.

But I am thankful today. And happy.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Young Tree Whispered in my Ear

The Thirsty Sparrow and what it Taught Me

The Scales of Life