No Title as Such

I've been sitting for a while thinking what I should name this piece. Knowing that it would be a hotch potch of scaterred ideas, I decided to just go with the obvious choice.

Speaking of a jumble of thoughts, there are so many circulating in my mind... the first and most recent one (I'll try reverse chronological order) is that I don't think I've seen this much rain in Karachi in the 5 years I've been here. The drainage system of the country is nothing to boast about and many people (and sacrificial animals for that matter) are in extreme distress. I've been looking at people posts on Facebook. Sometimes I think that the people are the new media. Journalists might become completely redundant one day. Coming back to the rain, scary videos of people half submerged in water, animals sprawled dead in the rivers of what were once streets and general flooding in areas is indeed very sad. Sitting on my comfy bed, in my comfy and dry room seems so much more of a blessing now.

But the rain is a good thing for the country. It's good for the parched land, the crops, the dried up underground reserves. It is good in the long run. However, people have lost their lives due to live wires electrifying the water. How does one justify that?
And the new school session had started and a month in, it's still not completely settled. And with an entire week off, there shall be a great deal to do once we head head back in. I have the pleasure of teaching the senior grades at my school: years 10 and 11. Now I had already taught the 10s last year, so I know them pretty well. But I had had no interaction with the 11s. And it's been astounding getting to know them over the past month. They are all extremely energetic and hell bent on learning. And I think they have taken to my teaching style.

Another notable point to mention is the book fair I went to a couple of weeks back with sis in law. I was the plus one to her VIP pass. Book fairs seduce me. But the prices were a bit steep - I ended up buying only 4 - but they're good purchases. Speaking of books, one more acquisition is worth mentioning: How to Teach English Literature by Jennifer Webb. Awesomeness!

There has been decadent shopping for clothes and such over the past month. I go crazy once a year with my sis in law. It's such a pleasure still. I feel like I'm still compensating for the missed time, for during my married life, I could never indulge in such pleasures. And noone cared that I couldn't. In fact, for the longest time, I didn't even know what I was missing. But let's not get into a pity party. For now I live life to fullest.

My 6 days of vacation will involve catching up on reading, making lesson plans, spending time with the family sorting the meat and cooking it and eating it. And praying for my kids that they too have a wonderfully magical Eid fill of love, joy, health and happiness.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Young Tree Whispered in my Ear

The Thirsty Sparrow and what it Taught Me

The Scales of Life