Doha


Winter Break is ancient history - so is Spring Break. A cacophony of memories evoke complicated feelings that are on either side of the positive and negative spectrums, ultimately negating each other. But current affairs are happy. Let me explain.

It's not too difficult. I have yet another niece to add to my  portfolio of being an aunt. She's perfect in every way. And while I have enjoyed my time with my brother and his family, I have also enjoyed (unexpectedly) taking in the sights here in Doha; and I still have a couple of weeks left on the itinerary.


It felt super strange flying right over Abu Dhabi, a city housing my children. Sad even. Six years now. Six long and sometimes quick years. The ambiance of middle-eastern countries remains the same: clean cities, neatly designed infrastructure, big cars, and overwhelming prevalence of class difference are some of the commonalities. Doha however, is one of the most least dense cities I have seen with regard to populace. In fact, the hospital where my niece was born seemed to my humble eyes, way over the top and even unnecessary. Why the super high intricately designed ceilings low and plain with decent lighting could have the done the job? Things like that keep you up at night. Money speaks... am I right?

But the beautiful sky line, the dreamy dhows and the historical Arab culture also lends credence to a city that is probably one of the most advanced in the world. I have yet to explore these in detail. I've planned to keep the greater highlights on the sidelines for the moment until my youngest brother joins us here for a day. In the meantime, I have only rave reviews for the underground Metro. If I had a magic wand asking me what facet of the city I would like to take back with me to Karachi, it would be this amazingly convenient system of transport.

Meanwhile, my boss back home has taken it upon herself not to bother me on my 'vacation', which is rather very sweet considering that the students have their mock exams next week. My students however, keep my abreast of the major headlines.

All in all, it has been an interesting few days, with many more up ahead I hope.

Next stop - bringing baby back home from hospital.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Young Tree Whispered in my Ear

The Thirsty Sparrow and what it Taught Me

The Scales of Life