Updates

It's been a while, but in my defence a lot has been happening. First, my sister had a baby, her third boy. But it was a risky surgery with her life on the line. Thankfully, all ended well and then she came over to stay. They're gone now, after a month, and it's quiet. I miss the kid the most - she named him after my third born.

Simultaneously, I've been giving online classes. I have a dirty little secret: I actually enjoy planning and executing these online sessions. There are just so many great interactive sites to get students' thinking juices flowing. And the impact has warranted an unprecedented amount of ... love. It's so humbling... kids are awesome. So much better than adults who just chew you and spit you out... well not all adults... ha ha. Case in point from a little 5th grader (excuse her English - I was subbing in for a fifth grade teacher):

I didn't even know she had put this post into the Zoom chat until my co-host teacher saved it and it went viral amongst my colleagues - embarrassing to say the least.

And as places cautiously open up, so are schools carefully calling teachers back into school for a few hours each week with social distancing protocols in place. That makes me happy too, for this meme would accurately describe me right now:


In my excitement, I went a little overboard in shopping for new clothes online. Meh, I deserve it.

Let's see what else... oh I should have led with my brother coming out of quarantine... wow! That was longest 21 days ever. But it's over now.

So with things being as mad as mad can be, I am sitting here in a moment of peace contemplating where life has brought me. Amidst tragedy has come unfathomable respect and love and growth and learning. I still miss my children - that's just the way it is, always will be, but with so many people having died left and right... it just reminds me that our days are limited and the time I have missed with my kids will be compensated by Allah and Allah alone and that in the end, we are born, we live and we die all alone. Even with family and friends, at the very heart of all the wisdom of the world is one statement - you are on your own.

And with that comes great relief. With all the drops of water that are present in the oceans and in the skies, those are not enough to fill the bucket of love that I have for my kids but from it I splash a significant amount on my nieces, nephews and students. They all become my children.

And I am so utterly, completely and infinitely thankful.

It's all good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Young Tree Whispered in my Ear

The Thirsty Sparrow and what it Taught Me

The Scales of Life