Ramadhan Blessings

We live to see another Ramadhan. Many did not make it. For those of us that have, we need to utilize as best we can. There is no doubt however, that the 'Iftaar' is an art best celebrated and indulge in by Pakistanis. I myself am partial to some tasty fried treats- and deserts. But I won't really make deserts, except maybe fruit custard, minus the fruit for me. (Some habits just don't change.)

Any way, I thought I might share, from time to time, some classics. Some I used to make for my kids too. They really loved the aloo chicken cheese kababs. I remember asking my daughter during her adventure in formulating 'balls' out of the batter I had given her, why she was making them so small, to which she quickly replied, 'Well, they'll just be more off them; they'll last longer.' Hilarious. I'll be making those tomorrow In Sha Allah.

But today I made something so easy and deceivingly tasty.

Just take half a kilo of chicken breast and make 1.5 inch cubes out if it. Remember to slice at a slight angel diagonally- I have no idea why, but the chicken tends to stay tender.

In the bowl of chicken cubes, add 2 tablespoons of milk, same amount of lemon juice (preferably fresh), an egg and a pinch of salt (not too much- we'll add in the batter). Let that sit in the fridge for a couple of hours.

An hour before frying, take another bowl and put in a cup of flour, a cup of corn flour, salt and white pepper according to taste and half a teaspoon of baking powder.  Mix thoroughly with enough water such that if you stick your finger in it, apart from a couple of drops that fall back into the bowl, your finger will be well coated with it. So it need to be thickish. Let that sit for an hour.

Now heat your deep pan, when it's sufficiently hot, dip the chicken cubes into the batter and spread over into the pan over medium heat. Do not turn up the heat or else your batter will turn brown but the chicken will be raw.

Cook for approximately ten minutes turning around frequently so that you get a good golden colour. Ah! delectable.



I'll share more recipes as I make them. I have made spring rolls, but as I'm rather low on energy (school isn't off yet) I'll write about that later.

Enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Young Tree Whispered in my Ear

The Thirsty Sparrow and what it Taught Me

The Scales of Life